ISTP Sanctum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use for Si? Tell me about your Se.

+5
ohtochooseaname
Erbse
Duck_of_Death
DJ Arendee
spiralshank
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Use for Si?  Tell me about your Se. Empty Use for Si? Tell me about your Se.

Post by spiralshank Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Does regular use of Si automatically make one "not" ISTP?

I'm referring to one of the YouTube vids (I think EJ Arendee - probably the same as buddy here) anyways they're great videos (usually), at least when you can pay attention to what you're talking about,

I digress,

After watching video ISTP vs. INTP (classic) I thought he nailed it for sure! Haha me vs. my engineer cousin. No more doubts. I was totally 100% ISTP...

Until the very end, when he's like "if you think you are ISTP and are in any way sentimental, you are ISTJ". Right? Because Si isn't in the ISTP functional stack. Forget about Ti or Fe, if you use Si you are a J.

I would have to say I use Si and Se in equal amounts*. I can't say which one is natural and which one is the shadow. Love to hear from some h-core ISTPs who can tell me what's up with Se (how do you "know" it's your aux?).

*Se used more at work or when behaving extraverted overall.
*Si all the time, but never intense.

I know the videos "aren't supposed to be taken totally seriously" but can you help me understand this a little more? I can't find any examples of Ne use in my behavior.

What would Ne manifest as on a construction site? Does it ever "look" like Te or Se?

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Use for Si?  Tell me about your Se. Empty Re: Use for Si? Tell me about your Se.

Post by DJ Arendee Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Oh man am I that popular I got youtubers comin in here now? ISTP's have a significant lack of caring about Si
DJ Arendee
DJ Arendee
Space Shuttle Captain

Motto : Eat My Ass

Back to top Go down

Use for Si?  Tell me about your Se. Empty Re: Use for Si? Tell me about your Se.

Post by Duck_of_Death Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:25 am

spiralshank wrote:Does regular use of Si automatically make one "not" ISTP?

Functions aren't always in specific order.
Any type can be a heavy Si-user (even if it is typically a shadow function).

Since you're on the borderline with intuition and sensing, this makes sense (Si is the tertiary function of an INTP).
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Call Sign : Resident Oddball

Back to top Go down

Post by Erbse Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:09 am

Study functions for yourself.

Inevitably you'll come to a simple result, much like everyone else:

The only thing truly mattering is your differentiated dominate function. From that you know your inferior function, which serves another important purpose.

Everything inbetween those two functions is highly moot (of course there will be differences between ISTP/INTP, but they're mostly subtle in regards to the types respective inner lives/structure) and at best a sandbox for those stuck on a superficial MBTI playground.

Thus the bottom line is, figure out your dominant function. The S/N divide is infact the least mattering and mostly blown out of proportion due to stereotyping and tools not having read any of the material further than some stickies on a MBTI board which put function as equivalent to skillsets.
Erbse
Erbse
Lumberjack

Call Sign : Umweltverschmutzung

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

DJ Arendee wrote:Oh man am I that popular I got youtubers comin in here now? ISTP's have a significant lack of caring about Si

Yep you're super popular that's exactly why I am here, because I'm a total YouTuber ...

I want to know what it's like to use Se in the aux. so I can find out for myself and settle this (minor) identity crisis.

What is the subjective experience of Se in the absence of Si?

I turned to YouTube after reading the literature, not the other way around.

Duck_of_Death wrote:Functions aren't always in specific order.
Any type can be a heavy Si-user (even if it is typically a shadow function).

Since you're on the borderline with intuition and sensing, this makes sense (Si is the tertiary function of an INTP).

This is kind of what I thought. It's like what I said before about Te operating "in the shadow" of Ti. I refuse to believe that somebody as fine-tuned as an ISTP has no use whatsoever for Si.

As I said before, this is partially in response to RND's vid claiming an ISTP who uses Si at all is a J.
I think he follows up (the ol' 1 2 combo) by saying an INTP who feels competitive at times is a J.

But I'm not a fucking J.

Erbse wrote:
Study functions for yourself. Rolling Eyes

Inevitably you'll come to a simple result, much like everyone else: What a Face

The only thing truly mattering is your differentiated dominate function. From that you know your inferior function, which serves another important purpose.

Everything inbetween those two functions is highly moot (of course there will be differences between ISTP/INTP, but they're mostly subtle in regards to the types respective inner lives/structure) and at best a sandbox for those stuck on a superficial MBTI playground.

Thus the bottom line is, figure out your dominant function. The S/N divide is infact the least mattering and mostly blown out of proportion due to stereotyping and tools not having read any of the material further than some stickies on a MBTI board which put function as equivalent to skillsets.

I'll try to just overlook the very 1st line of this reply because, well, it's rude. I'm an 8w9 what do you think is going to happen if you ... nevermind I'm too new (moving on).

It should be obvious that I am somewhat versed in Jungtions. I'm trying to work through the idea of shadow functions and the role they play ...

Not everybody "inevitably" arrives at the same conclusion (2nd and 3rd functions being moot). In fact, you're just demonstrating to me that your (assuming you are ISTP) tertiary function isn't in sync with your auxiliary. Perhaps your Ni is underdeveloped and jumps to conclusions, like a Ti-Ni loop where you actually forgot to look to the outside world and see if "everybody" really is doing what you "say" they are. Hot damn did I just hit the nail on the head or what!?!? HAHA

The "subtle" differences in inner lives and structure are evident when you contrast Ni and Si in the tertiary position.
I'm talking about the auxiliary function, which is extraverted, therefore not really part of the "inner life and structure". Being IPs, the auxiliary function is the way we relate to the outside world and take in information for our introverted functions to process.

Lastly, we're all playing in the same sandbox! I was just using my Ne shovel to dig a Ti tunnel to make a connection between Se and Si.

I guess I am an INTP trapped in an ISTP body living an ISTP life.
Complete package incl. fearlessness, sarcasm, strong jaw, big muscles, stubbornness, coordination, balance, strength, wisdom ...
The Se shadow is strong in this one.

oh, and one more thing:

tools not having read any of the material further than some stickies on a MBTI board

BULLSHIT ASS FUCKER
Ironic how you glorify the value of reading yet your writing is wrought with typos and inconsistencies. I'm using independent thought my friend it's slightly different than regurgitating things you've read on the internet.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ohtochooseaname Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 am

Yup...that's a lot of Si (and way to go taking something meant to be helpful and interpreting it completely inaccurately.) It doesn't help much that you don't really know about some of the previous baggage with PerC, etc., which isn't really helping your interpretation of his comments. I, personally, don't have much of an S/N divide, which, from personal experience, seems to be a fairly common trait for IXTP's, which is what Erbse was getting at. That being said, what makes you certain you aren't a J? I'm not arguing with your assessment, just curious. IMO, one of the chief distinguishing factors for introverts is whether or not you are focused on where you are vs. where you have been and/or are going.

Last edited by ohtochooseaname on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohtochooseaname
ohtochooseaname
Crane Operator

Job/hobbies : Optical Engineer
Motto : "If a butterfly had the teeth of a tiger, it would never get out of the hangar"

Back to top Go down

Post by Siren Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 am

You don't seem like any kind of ISTP to me. But I guess that's the point.
Siren
Siren
Motorcycle Gang Leader

Call Sign : Dirty Ni
Job/hobbies : krav maga, triathlons
Motto : There's no I in team but there is an M and an E.

Back to top Go down

Post by Erbse Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

spiralshank wrote:I'll try to just overlook the very 1st line of this reply because, well, it's rude. I'm an 8w9 what do you think is going to happen if you ... nevermind I'm too new (moving on).

Well, good for you. We won't ever meet, but I am pleased to have provided some butthurt, assuming you were serious for a second.

It should be obvious that I am somewhat versed in Jungtions. I'm trying to work through the idea of shadow functions and the role they play ...

Exactly within there lies the issue. 'Somewhat' versed because one has read psychological types volume 6 doesn't exactly count (though it's a great resource to determine one's dominant function), as MBTI took Jung's typology out of context for the most part.Additionally typology and cognitive function take a minor role in Jung's complete scheme.

It is good that you're trying to determine your shadow, but note that is only the lowest level of your subconscious you're tapping into. Still far away from Anima/Animus and even further from becoming 'self' (as defined by Jung). It's also helpful to determine where your persona begins and ends and how the shadow stands in contrast to it, much like your Anima stands in contrast what you consider 'I'.

Not everybody "inevitably" arrives at the same conclusion (2nd and 3rd functions being moot). In fact, you're just demonstrating to me that your (assuming you are ISTP) tertiary function isn't in sync with your auxiliary. Perhaps your Ni is underdeveloped and jumps to conclusions, like a Ti-Ni loop where you actually forgot to look to the outside world and see if "everybody" really is doing what you "say" they are. Hot damn did I just hit the nail on the head or what!?!? HAHA

No, this is just you projecting something, mostly because you feel or felt attacked, when I didn't mean to. As far as a Ti-Ni loop goes, you may want to note that it was I who laid it out in detail in the ISTP wiki. It could probably need a major overhaul, if not a complete one - but alas it's good as it is to convey the core message - although the technicalities being slightly off. Still, to answer your question, these days I think I'm truthfully more in line with INTP rather than ISTP - but guess what? We all get along just splendid here and never rubbed each other the wrong way. Sort of underlines my claim, if anything.

The "subtle" differences in inner lives and structure are evident when you contrast Ni and Si in the tertiary position.
I'm talking about the auxiliary function, which is extraverted, therefore not really part of the "inner life and structure". Being IPs, the auxiliary function is the way we relate to the outside world and take in information for our introverted functions to process.

You're talking as though these function would actually truly show, or are usable at will, then they're not. As ISTP and INTP everything that ever goes on will inevitably be channelled through Ti, for it is the differentiated function. Much like the shadow / anima leaks into our conscious from our inferior Fe, which would be the gateway to the subconscious. Thus the conclusion of function two and three mostly being moot and solely used in a MBTI sandbox scheme that may leaves room for debate but doesn't portray reality or anything meaningful anyway.

The major issues is that people are full of misconceptions regarding the N/S divide. INTP's must love math and physics while ISTP's must love cars and engines - in reality it looks nothing like that, though - most of the time anyway.

Lastly, we're all playing in the same sandbox! I was just using my Ne shovel to dig a Ti tunnel to make a connection between Se and Si.

No, this would be just you slinging cognitive function through the room thinking you could wield them like tools, when in fact you cannot. You'll feel right at home in PerC's cognitive function section, though.

BULLSHIT ASS FUCKER
Ironic how you glorify the value of reading yet your writing is wrought with typos and inconsistencies. I'm using independent thought my friend it's slightly different than regurgitating things you've read on the internet.

I am pleased that you admit being incredibly butthurt, it is my pleasure. Also note that my writing style likely succeeds yours, although I am not even a native tongue whatsoever. I know quite well that my punctuation is off, but that's mostly because I use my native tongue's punctuation. It is great that you're so unique and special and that you use 'independent thinking' much like everyone else in this world that'll claim doing exactly that. No skin off my back however, as I'll just go and be happy go lucky about my own life, because after all, everything is well.

Lastly, you did a splendid job at taking literally everything I said in my initial post personally, when in fact I haven't talked about you specifically. Turns out however that I might as well have.

Cheers!
Erbse
Erbse
Lumberjack

Call Sign : Umweltverschmutzung

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 pm

lol Reality check!

Sometimes it takes a lot to get people talking.

Re: J'ness, just real quick. No I am not sure of anything. I could be a J that wishes he were a P. It would explain some things but many more new issues arise. ISTJ is a possibility but doesn't top the list. To be honest, I thought I was ready to move forward with ISTP. Guess not.
I didn't really come around to stir things up it's sort of just the way things happen, with me. Flying under the radar isn't my strong suit.

I really just wanted to know more about MBTI in general, particularly sensing vs. intuition.

You're more of a purist, I can admire that, sure. I see you are not really a fan of MBTI and all it has to offer society. It's slanderous, completely meant for mass consumption and miss-the-point-ism. Sample your personality in a bite-sized box. For most people, it's good enough. Not you though.

I could put quotes here and there but I'm going freestyle here instead. You claim I admit to being incredibly butthurt (yes it's funny to put it that way), then you do it again (ok still funny), but just because I called you a bullshit ass fucker doesn't mean I admit to being butthurt. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

I knew you weren't talking about me in particular man that's obvious. "but you might as well have been" haha good point. You got me.

It is great that you're so unique and special and that you use 'independent thinking' much like everyone else in this world that'll claim doing exactly that. No skin off my back however, as I'll just go and be happy go lucky about my own life, because after all, everything is well.
You seem to be more hurt than I am as we emerge from this confrontation. I'm just a noob who's goofing off - if there is even a shred of truth in what I say it's a coincidence. To me, that's independent thinking. As far as I am can tell from here, you use groupthink.

How is it that we can not wield and sling cognitive functions like tools? They are tools! They're the tools we use (cognitively or otherwise) to interact with the world. Can they be sharpened? Yes. Do they wear out? Yes. Can you forget them at home? Yes.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ohtochooseaname Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Btw, all caps generally indicates butthurt....or jest...hard to tell in a forum.

When you're typing yourself, it's generally best to nail down the more obvious ones first, and move inward. In my experience, the I/E is the most outwardly obvious. Followed by T/F, then J/P, then S/N. If you can get three of them down, then you can make a better decision about the last one because you'll have a better picture of the whole to make a conclusion. Once you know the whole, you can better understand what incarnation of the "functions" you are using in your daily life.

The truth of the matter is, certain personality types will be virtually incomprehensible to you: you can know about them, but you can't really know what it is to be them, and this goes for functions as well: if you use other cognitive processes, it is a bit like having a prosthesis instead of a whole hand.

My advice: get yourself sorted out via some honest introspection so you have a base to build off of (not just what your type is, but what that really means about how you process the world).
ohtochooseaname
ohtochooseaname
Crane Operator

Job/hobbies : Optical Engineer
Motto : "If a butterfly had the teeth of a tiger, it would never get out of the hangar"

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm

I had another thought.

Some parties hold the idea that the tertiary role does not have a preference for E or I, so an INTP would have S in the third position but might have a propensity for both Si and Se. So would an ISTP feel the presence of Ne at times?

This wouldn't necessarily force one into the shadow of the other .?.?.?.

I just don't think I am lacking in extraverted sensing in any way. I drive cars (and motorcycles) at 120 mph, I run across unbraced roof trusses, I don't ever miss anything - I am tuned in to the environment. I can climb, I can swim. I hear everything, I see everything. Ambient noise (visual, auditory, or even tactile) is my mortal enemy at times. My senses are never turned off.

What I am lacking is Ni maybe? They say ISTPs don't ever consult "the manual" before starting a task. They use their Ti and Ni to focus inward on the problem and Se to gather external information, giving them the remarkable ability to have unadulterated clarity in perception of their physical world. Is this true? Or another stereotype? Either way, I consult the manual. I always consult the manual.

I'm starting to see now the point behind arguing that the auxiliary and inferior are "moot".

I/E, T/F, and J/P are all easy distinctions for me. It's not until I start to sift through the cognitive functions and the typology algorithms, that I get confused about J. If you look at it from the perspective of "mere preference" or how I act usually, it's P. There is gross over-representation of I types online, and given their overall rarity in society, IxTx types in general. So it's easy to look for similarities. Every time I get to thinking that I might be ISTJ I just stop by their forum and lurk for a while and I can leave contentedly knowing I-am-not-SJ.

if you use other cognitive processes, it is a bit like having a prosthesis instead of a whole hand.
neat.

I can relate to this completely when I think about Te.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duck_of_Death Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 pm

spiralshank wrote:I just don't think I am lacking in extraverted sensing in any way. I drive cars (and motorcycles) at 120 mph, I run across unbraced roof trusses, I don't ever miss anything - I am tuned in to the environment. I can climb, I can swim. I hear everything, I see everything. Ambient noise (visual, auditory, or even tactile) is my mortal enemy at times. My senses are never turned off.

And I don't do any of that.

I'm a lazy fat ass that lounges around all day and plays Battlefield 3 online.

Se is simply being drawn to the immediate--not over-analyzing abstracts but just DOING it. This is why the ISTP is so "conservative" with his energy. Ti and Ni naturally keep tabs on our Se, and when it is time to smash, rock or fuck...we do it better than any other sum-bitch that ever lived.

For instance:

When I'm rocking my M1 Abrams on the Armored Shield map, I'm not "thinking" about it.
While my teammates attempt strategy (pussies), I just roll in there, run motherfuckers over and fire shells at enemy tanks.

And you better believe those Ruskies piss they pants when I show up on the field.

What I am lacking is Ni maybe? They say ISTPs don't ever consult "the manual" before starting a task. They use their Ti and Ni to focus inward on the problem and Se to gather external information, giving them the remarkable ability to have unadulterated clarity in perception of their physical world. Is this true? Or another stereotype? Either way, I consult the manual. I always consult the manual.

This makes you like my teammates (pussies) in Battlefield 3.
You ain't no ISTP; you're a cunt.

Chill out. Grab a beer. Smoke some pot. Snort some coke if you have to.
And repair the cleft asshole while you're at it.
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Back to top Go down

Post by madhatter Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:04 pm

spiralshank, I'm actually sensing more ExTP from you, rather than IxTP. Just a hunch, but I would consider it further.
madhatter
madhatter
Bounty Hunter

Call Sign : Angry Eyes
Motto : Some people juggle geese.

Back to top Go down

Post by Khys Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

I don't know if i use Se or Si or how they manifest.

I only know that i lead with Ti and i don't use Ne ever.
Khys
Khys
Space Shuttle Captain

Call Sign : Den Mother
Motto : Balls to the walls

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Duck_of_Death wrote:
spiralshank wrote:I just don't think I am lacking in extraverted sensing in any way. I drive cars (and motorcycles) at 120 mph, I run across unbraced roof trusses, I don't ever miss anything - I am tuned in to the environment. I can climb, I can swim. I hear everything, I see everything. Ambient noise (visual, auditory, or even tactile) is my mortal enemy at times. My senses are never turned off.

And I don't do any of that. hmm

I'm a lazy fat ass that lounges around all day and plays Battlefield 3 online. Good (for you) at least you're not competing with me for women or resources. ... really though, I never said I wasn't lazy. I sit around all day all the fucking time. I'm just not fat.

Se is simply being drawn to the immediate--not over-analyzing abstracts but just DOING it. This is why the ISTP is so "conservative" with his energy. Ti and Ni naturally keep tabs on our Se, and when it is time to smash, rock or fuck...we do it better than any other sum-bitch that ever lived. Remarkably, that's a step towards where I'm trying to get to with this thread. That's useful information, and it actually pushes me away from Se.

I suppose that's why there isn't a ton of activity on this forum - you're unable to just create a random idea for fun. You don't see the value in it or the need for it and you simply don't have the ability to entertain the notion. You have to sense things physically or they aren't there. I get it now.

For instance:

When I'm rocking my M1 Abrams on the Armored Shield map, I'm not "thinking" about it.
While my teammates attempt strategy (pussies), I just roll in there, run motherfuckers over and fire shells at enemy tanks.
Sounds like you really don't have much of a penchant for thinking at all.

And you better believe those Ruskies piss they pants when I show up on the field. I doubt you've ever made anybody piss they pants.

This makes you like my teammates (pussies) in Battlefield 3.
You ain't no ISTP; you're a cunt. Error: The two terms are equivalent. Which means you are both and I am neither. Also, fuck you bitch.

Chill out. k Grab a beer. Smoke some pot. Snort some coke if you have to. I'll smoke some pot I guess.
And repair the cleft asshole while you're at it. ummmmmm let me see, oh fuck you (again) bitch.

madhatter wrote:spiralshank, I'm actually sensing more ExTP from you, rather than IxTP. Just a hunch, but I would consider it further.

I will consider it further Very Happy . I had toyed with the idea a little bit previously but I'm just not an E. I'm pretty well balanced on all factors but I am decisively introverted.
When I act in an extraverted way it soaks up all of my energy and I begin to feel stressed (sort of a tired feeling that emerges from behind my eyes and eventually fills my whole head), leaving an intense craving for time alone. People can sense it as well, when the glibness wears off and all that's left is a tired, hungry and grumpy bear.

I am INTP.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duck_of_Death Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:04 am

^This fuckin' guy.
Duck_of_Death
Duck_of_Death
Lord of the Flies

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Arendee Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 am

LSI's in socionics, (Ti Se) specifically lack Si. It says that if anyone is to walk 5 miles in sandles with bloody feet, its a Ti Se user because they legit don't care about it, haha.
DJ Arendee
DJ Arendee
Space Shuttle Captain

Motto : Eat My Ass

Back to top Go down

Post by Siren Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am

I don't get INTP either. You mention being hyper aware and in tune with everything going on in your environment - that's S not N. I have to really struggle and concentrate to take in anything around me because I'm in my head too much.

My friends: Did you see that naked guy clubbing that baby seal over there?

Me: Huh? Where?

You have a lot more emotion in your writing than most ISTPs I've seen. It seems like you lead with that. I'm going with ISFP.
Siren
Siren
Motorcycle Gang Leader

Call Sign : Dirty Ni
Job/hobbies : krav maga, triathlons
Motto : There's no I in team but there is an M and an E.

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:58 am

Nobody has ever suggested F before; you are the first. I'll look into ISFP further but Te in the inferior ... let's just say that would make some people laugh.

A dampening feeling washes over me that you might be right.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by madhatter Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am

spiralshank wrote:
I will consider it further Very Happy . I had toyed with the idea a little bit previously but I'm just not an E. I'm pretty well balanced on all factors but I am decisively introverted.
When I act in an extraverted way it soaks up all of my energy and I begin to feel stressed (sort of a tired feeling that emerges from behind my eyes and eventually fills my whole head), leaving an intense craving for time alone. People can sense it as well, when the glibness wears off and all that's left is a tired, hungry and grumpy bear.[/color]

I am INTP.

Granted, it is hard to type a stranger through text. Your writing just had a similar style and tone that I have often experienced with ENTPs. That would also explain why Siren sensed more Feeling in you.

But ultimately yes, I believe you're a Ne-user.
madhatter
madhatter
Bounty Hunter

Call Sign : Angry Eyes
Motto : Some people juggle geese.

Back to top Go down

Post by carok Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 am

Which of these are you?

1) Do you eat with caution? Are you reluctant to try new foods? History of being a picky eater, especially as a kid? When I say picky, I mean mean a hypersensitive sense of taste, alerting you to subtle changes in flavor and texture, so much so that you analyze your food, looking for flaws and inconsistencies. (Think ISTJ, 'the inspector' and a strong Si user, always taking in information with a critical approach, looking for problems). Also have you ever had eating routines, eat methodically in a certain order, or have conditions, as in only accept a particular food when prepared a certain way? These eating habits are typical of INTP's Si. They are reticent about diving into a food experience because their taste buds are easily overwhelmed. INTPs often say: "I'm not a picky eater, BUT.....(insert long list here). There's always a but. Very Happy

2) Eat and enjoy most any food in any way that it's served. Dislikes are rare. This is Se, little or no hesitation to take on a sensory experience, they just dive in. ISTPs are also driven to take risks in order to get the sensory stimulation that Se craves so they aren't looking for problems with their food. I myself have Se as tertiary.

ISTPs, how am I doing here? Very Happy
carok
carok
Construction Chief

Job/hobbies : Enjoy MBTI study & Obscure strategy games
Motto : Some shmoozing is not a bad thing

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:53 am

Hey yeah that's a good analogy with food. That's a language I can speak.
I am pretty picky. Wouldn't say "hypersensitive", but definitely Si-user.

Description 1 is highly accurate.

I believe I was mistaken about Se. I think there's more to it than having dependable coordination and balance, as well as a drive for risk-seeking behaviour, high speed driving, frequent bjs.

Here's one way I see it. When I look at something that's broken (say a component of a system), I only know it's broken if I am previously familiar with its purpose. Then a functional repair is often intuitive. I am a construction worker and this comes into play fairly regularly.

When an ISTP sees something that's broken, they would see it for what it is. They would see the purpose, they would see the function, they would see where it is broken, and they would see how to fix it. It wouldn't matter if you had never encountered it before you could still see how it is broken functionally.

It might look the exact same to an outsider but the differences are there.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by carok Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 am

That's still a contradiction, Si isn't oriented toward risk taking. You could be in state of stress which could muddy the waters. Do you feel mentally/emotionally tired? How old are you? Approximately?
carok
carok
Construction Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by spiralshank Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:38 am

Approximately 24.

Risk taking, thrill seeking, fast speeds ... are not stressful. There is clarity. On second thought, walking a second-story 2x6 exterior wall is terribly frightening (compared to 2x4 interiors or first-story exteriors). I make very cut and dry distinctions between what I can and can not handle. Something perceived as unsafe (walking walls or approaching the fascia on a rooftop) will stop me in my tracks. Anything perceived as safe however I approach head-on (like monkeying through trusses, jumping from heights, or driving a Mustang at 180 km/h).
As previously mentioned, I don't miss much from my external environment. I take in the sights and sounds.

That said, I am fully aware of my internal environment. I might walk a few miles in bloody feet but it's going to hurt and eventually I'll want it to stop. I can (and do) track the progress of all of my injuries (like every cut and scrape). The food analogy was spot on (though not extreme). I have an extremely reliable digestive system which obeys a strict schedule (SJ I know), and I get tummy aches more often than some other people.

I have a high tolerance for electroconvulsive therapy (borderline masochistic) - the type administered at a physiotherapist office (not to the brain).

I also attach symbolic value to objects and possessions, I am familiar with nostalgia, I like to keep things for a long time. I am very materialistic too, I like buying expensive things and overall I have expensive taste. I am known to take on way too much financially, and am totally casual about it. I am absolutely not ISTJ (duty fulfiller). I am living in the present but more preoccupied with the past than the future. My collection of "sentimental possessions" is very small (but meaningful) and doesn't dominate my psyche. Definitely not hoarding anything. I'm not trying to drive Si into the dominant position.

I think overall Se would operate in the shadow of Si in my case. I may not find it particularly distressing or unnatural but it doesn't drive my life. It operates passively.

spiralshank
Garbage Man

Back to top Go down

Post by carok Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm

An INTP friend who occasionally lends his Ti to help me with typing questions advises that we not give too much weight to dietary preferences. Very Happy

I parsed through your self-descriptive statements, esp the "I" statements, omitted anything speculative, and then reordered to get a flow.

spiralshank's Self-Descriptive Statements

I am decisively introverted
I calls 'em as I sees 'em
sarcasm
I'm not a fucking J
stubbornness
I am living in the present
I am tuned in to the environment
My senses are never turned off
I don't ever miss anything
I take in the sights and sounds
I hear everything
I see everything
I don't miss much from my external environment
Ambient noise (visual, auditory, or even tactile) is my mortal enemy at times
I like buying expensive things
I have expensive taste
I am very materialistic
Se used more at work or when behaving extraverted overall
Si all the time, but never intense
wisdom
I always consult the manual

Risk taking, thrill seeking, fast speeds...are not stressful. There is clarity
fearlessness
I drive cars (and motorcycles) at 120 mph
I run across unbraced roof trusses
I can climb
I can swim
coordination
balance
strength

strong jaw
big muscles

These aren't self-descriptive but the choice of words caught my attention

wield and sling cognitive functions like tools? They are tools! They're the tools we use (cognitively or otherwise) to interact with the world

functional repair is often intuitive
carok
carok
Construction Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum